How can I login to proxy.replicated.com from command line

I have some linked registries and want to be able to pull images using docker CLI. However when I try to login, I get this error:

$ docker login proxy.replicated.com
Username: [REDACTED]
Password:
Error response from daemon: Get "https://proxy.replicated.com/v2/": unauthorized: Invalid credentials

proxy.replicated.com allows pulling images from private registries. To do this, proxy needs to authenticate with the upstream registry using credentials provided when linking the registry in Vendor Portal

Method 1: login to registry.replicated.com

When a command like docker pull <image name> is executed, the client will request pull access to a specific image, which contains upstream registry information.

However, the docker login command does not allow specifying any additional information, which means proxy.replicated.com cannot determine which upstream registry to authenticate with.

One workaround is to login to registry.replicated.com and then edit configuration (~/.docker/config.json in case of docker CLI for example) and change host name to proxy.replicated.com.

This is a supported method because both services use the same customer credentials for authentication.

Method 2: link index.docker.io

Due to a convention, missing host name in an image name implies DockerHub. If index.docker.io is linked as a private registry, docker login proxy.replicated.com will work by authenticating with DockerHub.

Example from my test cluster. Let’s say my failing pod is called sentry-worker for the sake of example:

ada@ada-kurl:~$ kubectl get deployments.apps sentry-worker -o yaml | grep -C3 imagePullSecrets
--
        - mountPath: /var/lib/sentry/files
          name: sentry-data
      dnsPolicy: ClusterFirst
      imagePullSecrets:
      - name: annarchy-registry
      restartPolicy: Always
      schedulerName: default-scheduler

I know my imagePullSecret is called annarchy-registry for my test app. I examine the secret content:

ada@ada-kurl:~$ kubectl get secret annarchy-registry
NAME                TYPE                             DATA   AGE
annarchy-registry   kubernetes.io/dockerconfigjson   1      153d

ada@ada-kurl:~$ kubectl get secret annarchy-registry -o yaml
apiVersion: v1
data:
  .dockerconfigjson: eyJhdXRocyI6eyJwcm94eS5yZXBsaWNhdGVkLmNvbSI6eyJhdXRoIjoiTWtjd05rcGxTbVpSUVRCTFYxcERaMlZwWVROSFZIaDFlV0phT2pKSE1EWktaVXBtVVVFd1MxZGFRMmRsYVdFelIxUjRkWGxpV2c9PSJ9LCJyZWdpc3RyeS5yZXBsaWNhdGVkLmNvbSI6eyJhdXRoIjoiTWtjd05rcGxTbVpSUVRCTFYxcERaMlZwWVROSFZIaDFlV0phT2pKSE1EWktaVXBtVVVFd1MxZGFRMmRsYVdFelIxUjRkWGxpV2c9PSJ9fX0=
kind: Secret
metadata:
  annotations:
  name: annarchy-registry
  namespace: default
  resourceVersion: "3275557"
  uid: 6609712a-b9cd-4a2f-a5fb-6fd0d4742d52
type: kubernetes.io/dockerconfigjson

Notice the .dockerconfigjson base64 string in this secret - after decoding, this is exactly what would be contained in a regular docker client CLI after doing a docker login <registry.domain.com>. So you can recreate the same credentials by taking this string and decoding it and using it to authorize to our registry.

Normally, the docker client credentials file is at ~/.docker/config.json. Add the decoded string to the authorizations list, or backup and replace your existing config.json file:

# note in my case my working directory is /home/ada/snap/docker/2915/.docker/config.json because this is installed with ubuntu snap

ada@ada-kurl:~/snap/docker/2915/.docker$ ls
config.json
ada@ada-kurl:~/snap/docker/2915/.docker$ cat config.json
{
	"auths": {
		"https://index.docker.io/v1/": {
			"auth": "YWRhbWFuY2luaTo+cDZRdS5pJmZvWyUtTi5QTUIneUR8O3pm"
		}
	}

# this `o go-template=` option just automates the process of running the .dockerconfigjson value through `base64 --decode`

ada@ada-kurl:~/snap/docker/2915/.docker$ kubectl get secret annarchy-registry -o go-template='{{range $k,$v := .data}}{{printf "%s: " $k}}{{if not $v}}{{$v}}{{else}}{{$v | base64decode}}{{end}}{{"\n"}}{{end}}'

.dockerconfigjson: {"auths":{"proxy.replicated.com":{"auth":"MkcwNkplSmZRQTBLV1pDZ2VpYTNHVHh1eWJaOjJHMDZKZUpmUUEwS1daQ2dlaWEzR1R4dXliWg=="},"registry.replicated.com":{"auth":"MkcwNkplSmZRQTBLV1pDZ2VpYTNHVHh1eWJaOjJHMDZKZUpmUUEwS1daQ2dlaWEzR1R4dXliWg=="}}}

ada@ada-kurl:~/snap/docker/2915/.docker$ cp config.json config.json.bak

ada@ada-kurl:~/snap/docker/2915/.docker$ echo '{"auths":{"proxy.replicated.com":{"auth":"MkcwNkplSmZRQTBLV1pDZ2VpYTNHVHh1eWJaOjJHMDZKZUpmUUEwS1daQ2dlaWEzR1R4dXliWg=="},"registry.replicated.com":{"auth":"MkcwNkplSmZRQTBLV1pDZ2VpYTNHVHh1eWJaOjJHMDZKZUpmUUEwS1daQ2dlaWEzR1R4dXliWg=="}}}' > config.json

Printing the file through jq prints the data nicely, we can see there are 2 endpoints authorized; registry. and proxy.; both use the same credentials. If your registry secret only contains one or the other, you could rewrite the host portion to proxy.replicated.com for the purpose of this test.

ada@ada-kurl:~/snap/docker/2915/.docker$ cat config.json | jq
{
  "auths": {
    "proxy.replicated.com": {
      "auth": "MkcwNkplSmZRQTBLV1pDZ2VpYTNHVHh1eWJaOjJHMDZKZUpmUUEwS1daQ2dlaWEzR1R4dXliWg=="
    },
    "registry.replicated.com": {
      "auth": "MkcwNkplSmZRQTBLV1pDZ2VpYTNHVHh1eWJaOjJHMDZKZUpmUUEwS1daQ2dlaWEzR1R4dXliWg=="
    }
  }
}

My test app doesn’t actually have any private images in it, but I can authorize against the proxy that I’ve configured with my vendor portal account and docker hub credentials:

ada@ada-kurl:~/snap/docker/2915/.docker$ docker pull proxy.replicated.com/proxy/annarchy/index.docker.io/library/ubuntu:latest
latest: Pulling from proxy/annarchy/index.docker.io/library/ubuntu
57c139bbda7e: Pull complete
Digest: sha256:e9569c25505f33ff72e88b2990887c9dcf230f23259da296eb814fc2b41af999
Status: Downloaded newer image for proxy.replicated.com/proxy/annarchy/index.docker.io/library/ubuntu:latest
proxy.replicated.com/proxy/annarchy/index.docker.io/library/ubuntu:latest