Failed to render archive directory in the config screen

Hello,
In the admin console dashboard, after uploading the license, I am getting failed to render archive directory in the config screen. I am unable to proceed further because of this. The License is also enabled for airgap.

Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Ravi

1 Like

Hello,

I have created a support ticket for this. I’ll continue the conversation there. Thank you!

Best regards,
Ravi

1 Like

Hi @ravi_devarakonda - did you resolve this issue? Could you share any information on what caused it, and how you resolved it? I’m encountering the same thing.

Update: in my case, the issue was caused by a missing Helm package in the Replicated manifest. I was getting an error in the “Releases” section of the vendor portal that a file was missing. Adding the file and publishing an update resolved the issue.

Hello,

Apologies for replying late.
I encountered two instances of this error;

1. This happened for a customer who was using an older kots version. Upgrading them to a newer version resolved it.
  2. For another customer, it was because of a password field value from the config screen. The customer was using a password starting with @ and because yaml treats @ as a reserved character, the helm chart render was failing. I was rendering the password with repl{{ConfigOption "mypassword"}}. Here, wrapping repl function with quotes fixed this issue. So, I ended up using '{{repl ConfigOption "myPassword"}}'. (Notice the '' wrapped around repl function.). Of course another fix would be to simply not create passwords starting with @ :slight_smile:

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Ravi

Admin Console logs detailed errors of the templates that failed to render. But since in such instances you will not have access to the logs shown in the web UI, you will need to rely on the CLI to fetch logs from the Admin Console pod. Here is an example deployment failure log

First get the Admin Console pod name

kubectl get pods -l app=kotsadm -A

NAMESPACE   NAME                       READY   STATUS    RESTARTS   AGE
default     kotsadm-85b7d7c758-xrjjw   1/1     Running   0          17m

Check the logs

kubectl logs kotsadm-85b7d7c758-xrjjw

<truncated logs>

{"level":"info","ts":"2024-01-19T12:00:47Z","msg":"applying resource /v1/Secret/kotsadm-replicated-registry in namespace default"}
{"level":"info","ts":"2024-01-19T12:00:48Z","msg":"applied resource /v1/Secret/kotsadm-replicated-registry in namespace default"}
{"level":"info","ts":"2024-01-19T12:00:48Z","msg":"applying resource /v1/Secret/thanos-reloaded-registry in namespace default"}
{"level":"info","ts":"2024-01-19T12:00:48Z","msg":"applied resource /v1/Secret/thanos-reloaded-registry in namespace default"}
{"level":"info","ts":"2024-01-19T12:00:48Z","msg":"applying phase 0"}
{"level":"info","ts":"2024-01-19T12:00:48Z","msg":"applying resource /v1/Secret/tls-secret in namespace default"}
{"level":"info","ts":"2024-01-19T12:00:48Z","msg":"applied resource /v1/Secret/tls-secret in namespace default"}
{"level":"info","ts":"2024-01-19T12:00:48Z","msg":"applying resource /v1/ConfigMap/app-config in namespace default"}
{"level":"info","ts":"2024-01-19T12:00:49Z","msg":"stdout (apply) = "}
{"level":"info","ts":"2024-01-19T12:00:49Z","msg":"stderr (apply) = Error from server (BadRequest): error when creating \"/tmp/kots-apply-1422934451\": ConfigMap in version \"v1\" cannot be handled as a ConfigMap: json: cannot unmarshal bool into Go struct field ConfigMap.data of type string\n"}
{"level":"info","ts":"2024-01-19T12:00:49Z","msg":"error: failed attempted kubectl apply: failed to run kubectl apply: exit status 1"}

<truncated logs>

As you can see, the last log line above shows the templating error when applying my app-config resource which is in my release. Other templating errors would be shown here as well.